2013年5月14日 星期二

John Woolman

John Woolman(1720-1772) Quaker mystic and abolitionist Share Your Faith "About the twenty-third year of my age, I had many fresh and heavenly openings, in respect to the care and providence of the Almighty over his creation in general, and over man as the most noble amongst those which are visible." Two years before his death, John Woolman had a dream in which he heard an angel announce, "John Woolman is dead." When he awoke, he pondered what the dream meant. Then he said, "At length I felt divine power prepare my mouth that I could speak, and then I said, 'I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.'" He wrote in his journal, "I perceived … that language 'John Woolman is dead' meant no more than the death of my own will." Such dreams and spiritual insights were characteristic of Woolman, who is remembered today as one of America's first abolitionists and most profound mystics. Timeline 1682 William Penn founds Pennsylvania 1687 Newton publishes Principia Mathematica 1689 Toleration Act in England 1720 John Woolman born 1772 John Woolman dies 1789 French Revolution begins

沒有留言: